Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mother's Weekend!

In his bestselling book, The Five Love Languages, author Gary Chapman talks about the importance of keeping your spouses "love tank" full. In order to fill your spouses love tank, you must express love to them in the way they will most respond to it -- through their love language. The five languages of love, according to Chapman, are:

Words of Affirmation (tell them how wonderful they are and why) Quality Time (spend time with them doing what they love to do) Receiving Gifts (buy them something they want) Acts of Service (wash the dishes, cut the grass, do something for them) Physical Touch (this means hugs and cuddles guys, not sex!)

Usually spouses will have different love languages from each other, so we have to discover what ours is as well as theirs. For me, I thoroughly enjoy receiving gifts from others, however that is not what most expresses love to me. Also, I deeply appreciate it when someone goes the extra mile to do a special act of service for me. And I can't get enough of those times when Jason comes and snuggles with me on the couch. But, what really makes me feel loved and valued is for someone to just tell me so. Tell me how much you love me, encourage me. Tell me I look pretty, tell me how delicious my home cooked meal was, tell me you think I'm a great wife or mother or friend, tell me you appreciate something I did. Tell me you love the person I am, not just the things I do. When people speak words of affirmation to me it fills my heart with love.
So, back to Mother's Weekend (formerly known as Mother's Day). Jason can confirm this, but I have never been high maintenance when it comes to holidays. Keeping it simple is fine with me, and since I'm not a 'gifts' person there's not a lot of pressure to spend a lot of money or come up with the perfect present for me.
All that changed this Mother's Day. About a month ago I pointed out to Jason that Mother's Day was coming up. I reminded him that since last Mother's Day I have been pregnant twice. I have given birth, taken care of a newborn, gotten pregnant again, endured morning sickness which lasted all day everyday, and have been making preparations for having two babies in one nursery in a few short months! I told him I had earned Mother's Day this year and that my expectations were HIGH!
Now, with regard to the love languages...I was so worn down I needed them all! Not just words of affirmation, I wanted gifts, service, physical touch, and quality time too! Yes, I was quite demanding, but legitimately quite needy and let me tell you my great husband stepped up and spoke love to me so clearly my love tank might stay filled until next Mother's Day!
A brief recap of our weekend (mother's deserve much more than one day!). On Thursday night he took me to dinner sans Eli at our favorite restaurant - Sinclair's in Old Cloverdale. Thanks to a severe thunderstorm and some downed power lines our evening lasted a bit longer than expected, but we had a wonderful meal and great time together. On Friday I got a huge, beautiful spring mix of flowers. On Saturday he brought me a fun gift first thing in the morning then he proceeded to take care of Eli all day long: feeding, changing, play time, even taking Eli with him when he went out to run errands (which involved grocery shopping). Saturday night he grilled out steaks for us which we enjoyed on the fabulous new porch he just finished remodeling for us. Side note: Josey got herself a steak and potato birthday dinner Saturday night to celebrate her 2nd birthday! After dinner he gave me another sweet gift and gave Eli his bath and put him to bed. Sunday morning he gave me a precious card in which he had written some very kind words (yes, of affirmation). He had also gotten Hugh & Grant to make me the two most wonderful cards ever. Grant even drew a picture of our whole family, complete with baby girl Walker! Then it was a great day at church then to my folks' house for lunch. We walked in from their house and we all passed out for a nice Sunday nap. Then, as an extra he walked in the door from work on Monday and I passed Eli off to him and I headed out the door for a 3 hour girls night out dinner with some of my friends from church. And of course during this entire special weekend he gave me plenty of words of affirmation, which I always love!
So, here's to my husband! He always gives and gives to me, expecting nothing in return. What he gets as a result is an adoring wife who cannot do enough for him!
Here are some pics from our weekend:

Jason giving Eli a bathDarryl & Jesi feeding Eli at Sunday lunch
Daddy holding Eli

Josey enjoying her birthday dinner of steak and potato!
Girls Night Out group (13 kids amongst us and two of us are pregnant!!!)
The beautiful Knock Out Roses Jason planted in our yard (which have nothing to do with our weekend, just thought you'd like to see them!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have it all! I'm glad you appreciate how wonderful your family is. That makes it more fun to do things for you. Too bad there isn't a Proverbs 32 man to go with the Proverbs 31 woman cause it seems like Jason would fit the bill. :)

April said...

Good for you !! You did need a great weekend after all the care taking you have been doing. You will get a good laugh if you read my mothiers day story. Due to being out of town from THursday til Late Sunday evening, mine was hilarious.