Monday, June 2, 2008

One Year Check Up

Eli had his one year doctor's visit this morning. I'm no germaphobe, but gosh I hate having him in that waiting room with all the sick kids! He weighed in at 20 pounds, which according to the highly scientific calculations puts him at about negative 20 on the Growth Chart. Whoever invented this stupid Growth Chart should be shot. Nothing during Eli's first year of life has brought me more unwarranted angst than that chart. According to the chart he is going to be a scrawny midget. He looks fine to me. I guess time will tell.
Don't mention this at Eli's 18th birthday party or anything, but he's had fluid on his left testicle for a few months now. The doctor feels confident it will go away on it's own, that is our hope because surgery would be the only fix. We'll keep watching and waiting.
He got 3 immunizations today. I've been conservative with his immunizations, I haven't gotten all of them, but we have gotten the majority of the recommended ones. He is not a fan of the shots (who would be). His face turns red, he holds his breath, and then screams when he is on the verge of passing our from shortness of breath. I'm glad it's over. He passed out in the car on the way home and is now sleeping comfortably in his crib.
So, now that Little E is a year old his diet will change radically -- gradually of course. The doc wants him off the bottle asap. I don't do pacifiers, so his bottle has become a sort of pacifier for him so it's going to be a tough wean. I've got some tricks to try. Also, I'm going to segue him onto whole milk and amp up his diet of table foods and try to get off the baby food altogether. Of course when I was driving home I wondered -- do you give them to whole milk cold? Or warm it up? So many questions, so many rules, so few brain cells left. I want to get him in a good routine before BGW arrives in September.
That's it for the doctor until his 15 month visit...in September. I told them the appointment had to be early September! I wonder if we'll be able to get a 2for1 on the copay if I take both kids to the doc at the same time. Hmmmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you feel comfortable with it, I would be curious to know which immunization shots you decided against and why. We are just starting the full on schedule and are spreading them out more than some parents might but we haven't decided to eliminate any of them. The MMR shot is a little worrisome but that is a good ways away for us.

The description of E holding his breath and then bursting into tears an screaming made me laugh only because that is the way G does when he gets poked.

April said...

My kids take perservative free shots, make sure that is what they offer at your ped. Milk can be warmed, but much easier for you if you give it to him cold. the whole table food thing is much easier too. Whew, I never did that baby food thing. Madison was only low on the growth chart. He actually has a growth hormone deficiency which he takes shots for daily. so not a big deal. They don't hurt.