Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Escape from Alcatraz

Guess who left the house today? ME. hoorah! Margaret and I did go to church Sunday so technically I left the house then, but I was so tired I was kind of in a haze the entire time. I had tons of people coming up to me hugging me, excited to see me, telling me how great I look. One girl even said, "Wow, you're one of those women that just bounce right back after having a baby!" Talk about putting lipstick on a pig! I had them all fooled.
But today I am feeling rested and I dropped both kiddos off at my folks' house and went to a shopping center about 5 minutes from their house. I had some items to return at a baby store so I got to use my store credit for a fun shopping spree there. Then I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and got some placemats for my new breakfast table. Then I went to Costco and bought some diapers for Eli. Oh, what a day! Margaret did fine being away from me for a couple of hours and of course Eli loves to be at his grandparents house. Then I took Margaret and we went to see some friends who were anxious to snuggle with the sweet baby girl. So, it was a much needed 'mental health' day for me and I sure needed it. I'm a little tired and sore now, but mostly I feel I'm getting back right - as Jason would say.
This motherhood thing is tough, as all of you mothers know. I wish women would feel more comfortable admitting to each other how difficult it is and how we just have days that we struggle and feel completely inadequate and insane. Sometimes I think women feel we must always put on the brave face and be strong and in control - or act like we're strong and in control whether we are or not. I believe this misguided behavior stems from years of women being so tough on each other. Let's face it, women are quick to judge other women for the choices they make and the way they do things. Some stay at home, some work. Some breastfeed, some use formula. Some homeschool their kids, some can't wait to get them out of the house. Some puree their own baby food, some buy food in jars.
You know what? Who cares. Let's continue to do what we feel is best for us and our children and love and respect the women in our lives who make different choices than we do.
And, please note this is coming from a woman who is the former winner of the Most Judgmental Woman in the World Award. Being a wife and mother is transforming me and I am so glad.
Okay, Margaret is napping and Eli is still at my folks' so I am going to fix myself a big glass of ice water and sit on the couch and enjoy doing NOTHING for a few minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always good to get out - alone. Good for all of you.
You will also learn NOT to say, "My child would never..." or "My child always..." cause they will or won't, depending on the situation. And they never perform on demand.
cv

Shannon Sawyer said...

Love to read about your life and to hear your take on things. LOVED the "putting lipstick on a pig" comment. Are you from the south?..... Amen to the judging thing. We could all use a little less of that!!! Do unto others, right.