Thursday, July 31, 2008

UH Athletes in Olympics

I just got an email from my friend Kim S. from grad school. She is back living and working in Hawai'i after being home on the East Coast for a while. She was letting me know that a girl who was there when we were there is going to be starting for the US Olympic Women's Volleyball team. In fact, I was this girl's Teaching Assistant in World History. Kim Willoughby was a superstar athlete at UH and it will be fun to watch her next month. I know volleyball isn't the major sport at most of your alma maters, but at UH fans packed out the stadium to watch both men's and women's volleyball. Very exciting to watch these impressive athletes. Here are some others from UH that will represent the US in Beijing:

Hawai'i is contributing starters to the Olympics in: Men's Volleyball (Clay Stanley); Women's Volleyball (Robyn Ah-Mow, Heather Bown, Kim Willoughby), Women's Soccer (Natasha Kai), Men's Water Polo (Brooks, the goalie), and men's Decathalon (Brian Clay). Not bad for a state with 1.3 million residents.

Here's a picture of Kim & me in the Manoa Valley taken when I was in Hawaii this past January. This is not the volleyball player Kim, this is my fellow grad student & friend Kim:

1 comment:

Belle Abner said...

Cool....any chance you could have Kim W. send your little cousin, AnnaBelle (the youngest on her school volleyball team) a picture with signature.......hummmmmmmmmmm

Would be way cool!

Sony