Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Charlie Wilson's War

Jason and I just got back from seeing Charlie Wilson's War. It was my request and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We think it's the first movie we've seen since we saw We Are Marshall last Christmas (excellent movie, by the way). For this girl who used to go to movies most every weekend, that is quite a long time! I loved the movie, it was just what I wanted it to be. Of course Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, and Phillip Seymore Hoffman were extraordinary. The movie is about a liberal US Congressman from east Texas (Hanks) who, along with a conservative millionairess (Roberts), and a CIA operative (Hoffman) fund and orchestrate a covert war between the Afghan mujaheddin and the Soviets who had invaded Afghanistan during the Cold War. Based on a true story, Charlie Wilson's War is an entertaining and informative look at contemporary history. Some Reagan administration officials have criticized the movie for its linkage of the CIA backed, Congressionally funded Afghan war against the Soviets to the rise of the Islamic extremists who carried out the attacks of 9/11. I might have misunderstood this, but based on an article I read I think the movie producers cut out a portion of the movie that overtly linked the two events. In the final cut, there is just a quick reference at the end of the movie when Hoffman tells Hanks "we shall see" what the long term implications are of their actions in Afghanistan.
This movie is a prime example of why I love the study of history. Historical events are inextricably linked, like it or not. It was difficult for the players in the 1980s who were trying to halt the spread of Communism to imagine the jihadist influenced terrorist attacks of 2001, however, from the vantage point of history we can see the link fairly easily. Thus we are encouraged to think of present events in terms of future consequences because of what the past has taught us.
I must add one caveat to my ravings about Charlie Wilson's War. It is rated 'R' for a good reason. Having worked in DC for several years, I can attest that the language used in the movie reflects everything I heard on Capitol Hill. I told Jason it made the movie more realistic to me but it was bad. Beyond that, it made me really miss DC. My experience there was life changing and has not since been matched. It is a place of power where the impossible can happen, and often does. Cheers to the exciting life inside the beltway and cheers to Charlie Wilson's War.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice review