Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Day is as a Thousand Years

If you've ever been a new mother raise your hand. Now, if your child is older than three years raise your hand. Okay, I'm talking to YOU!
They say (whoever they is) that at some point after giving birth a woman will forget the worst parts of labor and delivery and opt to get pregnant again. Should she not forget the worst of it, the theory goes, no woman would ever have more than one child. The same must be true for the newborn years. (did I say years?) Women, (and in the case of very involved fathers, men) tend to forget how hard it is to have a newborn once that little cracker gets to be about three years old. It is at that point that they start hovering around new mothers, smelling their little babies, getting all googley, and saying those words I hate to hear, "Oh, it goes by so fast".
Have you ever said this to a new mother? Keep reading cause I'm really talking to YOU! As a new mother in the throes of late nights, diapers, and feedings I can tell you it does not go by so fast. In 2 Peter 3 the Bible says that "...with the Lord one day is as a thousand years..." I can say that with a newborn one day is as a thousand years as well!
Now, I have no doubt in 5...10...30 years I will sit around with my girlfriends as we watch our babies graduate high school, get married, and have families of their own and we will all get misty eyed and say "where did all the time go?" "IT WENT BY SO FAST". But, trust me, that ain't happening now.
So the next time you are tempted to tell a new mother how quickly this time goes by, please don't. She does not want to hear it.

1 comment:

Donna said...

What a fun Thanksgiving! Troy is as far as we ever go :) BTW, I love Louisiana Lagniappe. I travel for work to the Perdido Beach Resort all the time (right across the street), so LL is one of my favorite places to go!